Glen of Aherlow
The Glen of Aherlow, Tipperary’s most attractive and scenic holiday destination, is a lush valley where the River Aherlow runs between the Galtee Mountains and the wooded ridge of Slievenamuck. Bounded by the rural villages of Bansha and Galbally, the Glen was historically an important pass between Limerick and Tipperary. Today there are opportunities for walking, rambling, horseriding, cycling and fishing The Glen is renowned for the warmth of its welcome and the friendship of its people. Nowhere will this be more evident to the visitor than in the local restaurants, pubs, shops and accommodation. Within the Glen the focal point is the Statue of Christ the King. Erected in 1950, Christ the King, overlooking the valley at its most scenic viewpoint has his hand raised in “blessing the Glen and all who pass by”, attracts thousands of visitors every year. The entrance to the Glen of Aherlow Nature Park is adjacent to Christ the King. The Nature Park is a series of loop walking trails, suitable for families, with information panels on the flora and fauna of the area, picnic tables, so take a ramble in a natural woodland at your leisure. Within the valley and throughout the hinterland the variety of prehistoric and early Christian sites provides interest for both the casual and seasoned historian. A visit to St Pecaun’s Holy Well, St Berrihert’s Well & Kyle and St Sedna’s Well in Clonbeg Churchyard is a must to enjoy the peace and serenity of these early Christian sites.